Newer Bigger Greenhouse

Newer Bigger Green House

So far, I’m pleased with the new greenhouse that my friend, Ron, bought me.  It’s an 8 x 10 Spring Gardener greenhouse, which at first I thought might be too big, but now after working in it for a while I know that it’s the perfect size for me.  On the one hand it takes up a lot of space and obstructs my view of the garden from different angles, but on the other hand it gives me more space to grow things inside, and I can store all my pots and other items in there as well.


Fortunately, I was able to use some of the materials from the old greenhouse to construct shelves for the new one.  Using cinder blocks I created two levels of shelving on each side of the greenhouse, and then I used some of the old piping to construct another shelf along the backside.  It worked out great and gave me just the amount of space I needed for all the pots and trays.  It’s a strain on the back having to lean over to mix starter soil and fill the pots, so the little kid’s table from Ikea was perfect to have in the center to sit on and rest.


The green house has been wind tested, and it’s easy to keep clean by just hosing it down, but who knows whether or not it would withstand any snow.  Being plastic I don’t see how it could handle more than a couple inches of snow before buckling in, but we’ll see next winter.  Ideally, I would love to build a real sturdy and permanent greenhouse out of redwood, but I don’t see that happening for quite a few years.  In the meantime I’m very happy to have this one, and since we put it up I’ve been busy propagating to get my starts ready for the garden.


It’s June 1st today, and we’re going to have a lot of sun for the next several days, so this weekend I’ll start transferring most of the veggies out into the growing areas.  We won’t be getting anymore freezing temperatures, and the ground should really start to warm up now, so it’s time.


This year I not only propagated the usual items like squashes, tomatoes, peppers, hot peppers, cucumbers, eggplant, sunflowers, marigolds, and a variety of other flowers, but I am also propagating some herbs for the first time like camomile, calendula, mullein and borage.   I am even having success with some of my own seeds from last year’s basil and some Black Eyed Susan and Echinacea, so this season has been very gratifying.


If it doesn’t get too hot, I’m thinking about leaving some plants inside the green house over the summer like a few tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and eggplant.  It would be interesting to see if they produce better indoors or if they will withstand pests and diseases any better than the outside plants.

The starter mix I used this year was also different.  Instead of buying a big expensive bag of Whitney Farms starter mix, I bought a bag of perlite and mixed it in with peat moss 1:4.  For the larger pots I mixed my own soil using rich soil from my garden that actually had worms in it, loose soil from my raised beds, and a little peat moss.  I filled the bigger pots half full of that base mix first and then topped them off with the starter mix so the seeds would have the more sterile loose mix to start their growth in.  My reasoning was that if they had the richer garden soil to put their roots into after they got started then maybe I could keep them in the greenhouse longer where they would get more warmth for a better head start. This saved me some expense too, and even though a little grass and other things popped up, they were easy to pull out.  Even though my mix worked just fine, next year I’m going to try a different mix that I found at this link because it seems more nutritious:

Since it’s taking so long for the peppers to propagate and grow, they will need much more time in the greenhouse.  To be on the safe side, I went ahead and bought some bell peppers, hot peppers and paprika peppers that I will transplant outdoors this week.  Well, enough of this!  Better get my butt in gear and get going to Lane Forest!




Share Button

Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>